At some point in time, almost everyone is involved in the probate of an estate. That involvement might stem from being appointed the Executor of the estate or volunteering to be the Personal Representative in which case you will need to know your way around the probate process. In addition, if you find yourself in a position where you believe an adult love one is in need of a legal guardian, you will need to pursue guardianship through the probate court, referred to as “Surrogate’s Court”, in New York. The following community resources can help you find much needed services, advice, and support.
Emergency numbers are also important to have handy because and injury and/or illness can occur at any time.
- Garden City Police Department – Emergency #911 – Non-Emergency (516) 742-9600
- Nassau County Sheriff’s Department – 516-571-2120
- Poison Control – 1-800-222-1222
If you are in charge of administering an estate, or are involved as a beneficiary, heir, or creditor, you will likely need to contact the court in which the estate is being probated at some point in time.
- Nassau County Surrogate’s Court – 516-493-3800 – handles the probate of estates as well as guardianship proceedings
As we age, the natural aging process typically requires more frequent hospital visits. Fortunately, there are a number of hospitals and specialty care centers in the Garden City, New York area, including:
- Winthrop University Hospital – 866-WINTHROP offers a wide range of routine healthcare services as well as urgent care.
- South Nassau Communities Hospital – (516) 632-3000 offers a wide range of routine healthcare services as well as emergency care services.
At some point, you may find that you, or a loved one, needs more care than can be provided in a home setting. Once the decision has been made to pursue nursing home care, the difficult process of finding the right facility begins. The following nursing homes in the Long Island, New York area offer nursing home, transitional living, and/or long-term care:
- Belair Nursing and Rehabilitation Center – (516) 826-1160 offers skilled nursing services as well as pulmonary rehabilitation, heart failure services for CHF, cardiac recovery, amputee rehabilitation, stroke rehabilitation and wound care management.
- Meadowbrook Care Center – (516) 377-8232 extended care and short-term rehabilitation facility.
- Neconset Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation – (631) 361-8800 specialized in-house programs include short-term subacute Rehab and long-term care, short-term post hospitalization and post acute care, as well as Adult Day Health Services.
- Nursing Home Compare – a Medicare tool that allows you to search for and compare nursing homes.
Planning a funeral and burial service for a recently deceased friend or family member is an extremely emotional process; yet, it also offers an opportunity to show the love and respect you feel for the deceased. If you find yourself needing to make funeral arrangements, it helps to know what options are available in your community. The following funeral homes serve the Garden City, New York community:
- Fairchild Sons Funeral Home – (516) 746-0585 “our compassionate and committed staff combine to create the most beautiful and meaningful way for families to memorialize a cherished life passed.”
- Park Funeral Chapels – (516) 747-4300 “providing dignified personal service.”
- Westchester Funeral Home – (914) 337-4585 “professional guidance and a promise of excellence.”
- Michael J. Grant Funeral Home – (631) 273-4443 we provide superior service and top quality merchandise at a sensible price.
Assistance and Outreach
Additional resources that you may find helpful when probating an estate or filing for guardianship in the Garden City, New York area include:
- New York State Department of Health – 877-854-4481 to obtain a certified copy of the decedent’s death certificate
- Nassau County Land Viewer Records – allows you to search for property records relating to the decedent’s estate.
- “Newsday” – 631-843-7653 local newspaper that may be used to publish notice to creditors of an estate.
- Nassau County Office for the Aging – (516) 227-8900 offers a full range of information, assistance, and consultation services to older persons and their families on a person-to-person basis.
- Nassau County Adult Protective Services – (516) 227-8083 investigates and provides protective services to adults 18 years of age or older without regard to income.
- Eldercare Locator – 800-677-1116 a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging connecting you to services for older adults and their families.
- Nassau County Veteran’s Service Agency (516) 572- 6560 handles the processing of claims for compensation, pension benefits, educational entitlements, property tax exemptions, and burial benefits, and assists with the appeals process.
- CASA — Coordinating Agency for Spanish Americans – (516) 572-0750 Spanish speaking senior citizens may obtain literature, advice and consultation from agencies.
- Nassau County Mental Health Services – official site of the county where numerous mental health resources can be found.
Contact an Estate Planning Attorney in Garden City to Learn More
If you have additional questions or concerns regarding the probate of an estate or pursuing guardianship in the Garden City, New York area contact the experienced New York estate planning attorneys at The Law Offices of Kobrick & Moccia by calling 800-295-1917 to schedule your appointment.